A recipe for setting up your email address at your custom domain for free. Using Gmail, Cloudflare, Mailgun and optionally Mailchimp.
Create an account then verify it. You need to add a credit card to get all of the features, but it’s still free for the first 10,000 emails a month.
Go to Domains:
- Click “Add Domain” button
- Under “Domain Name” enter your domain (ex:
example.com) Ignore the message “We highly recommend using a subdomain”. You should not include a subdomain if you want to receive email too.
- Submit the form
Forward email to Gmail
Go to Routes:
- Click “Create Route” button
- Set “Expression Type” to “Match Recipient”
- Set “Recipient” to your email address (ex:
- Under “Actions” check “Forward” and add your Gmail address (ex:
- Submit the form
Get config from Mailgun
In Mailgun go to your domain (ex:
https://app.mailgun.com/app/domains/example.com). Keep this page open as you will be copying and pasting values from here to Cloudflare.
In Cloudflare go to the DNS section.
- Add the 2 TXT records using their supplied values. (ex:
v=spf1 include:mailgun.org ~alland
- Add a CNAME record with “email” as the “Name” and
mailgun.orgas the “Value”.
- Uncheck the cloud icon for the CNAME.
- Add an MX record with your domain as the “Name” and “mxa.mailgun.org” as the “Value” and a “Priority” of “10”.
- Add an MX record with your domain as the “Name” and “mxb.mailgun.org” as the “Value” and a “Priority” of “10”.
In Mailgun click the “Check DNS Records Now” button to confirm settings are correct.
Go to Gmail:
- Click the “Cog” icon and go to Settings
- Click the “Accounts and Import” tab.
- Under “Send mail as” click “Add another email address”:
- Set “Name” to your personal or company name
- Set “Email address” to your email address (ex:
- Ensure “Treat as an alias” is checked
- Click “Next Step” button
- Fill in the form with settings from you domains “Domain Information” at Mailgun.
- Gmail’s “SMTP Server” equals Mailgun’s “SMTP Hostname”
- Gmail’s “Username” equals Mailgun’s “Default SMTP Login”
- Gmail’s “Password” equals Mailgun’s “Default Password”
- Ensure “Secured connection using TLS” is checked
- Click “Add Account” button
- You should receive a message like: “Congratulations, we successfully located your other server and verified your credentials.”
- Verify your new email address in Gmail
In Mailchimp add your domain at Account -> Domains:
- Click “Verify A Domain”
- Under “Email Address” enter you email address
- Go to Gmail and click the verification link
In Cloudflare add these records:
- Add a CNAME record with
k1._domainkey.example.comfor “Name” and
- Add a TXT record with
example.comfor “Name” and
v=spf1 include:servers.mcsv.net ?allfor “Value”.
In Mailchimp at Account -> Domains:
- Click “Authenticate” button to the right of your domain.